Friday, April 30, 2010

23 - Liao Fan 4 Lessons

Liao-Fan: Another example is a person named Li Zhi from Jia-shan prefecture. His father used to be a clerk in the prefectural courthouse. Once, Li's father came to know about an innocent man who was given the death penalty. He attempted to plead this case with his superior. When the prisoner heard about this, he told his wife.


Prisoner: I am so indebted to this man who has spoken on my behalf, and I have no way of showing my gratitude. Will you invite him over to our house and offer yourself in marriage? Perhaps this will please him and increase my chances to live.

Liao-Fan: The wife cried as she listened to his request, for she really did not want to do it. But it was the only way she could help her husband in this time of need. So, the next day when the clerk came to visit, she offered him wine and told him of her husband's wishes. The clerk refused the offer of marriage, but continued with great effort to clear the case. When at last the prisoner was released, he and his wife both went to his house to thank him. The man said:

Man: One with such virtue as yours is truly rare to encounter these days, how can I show my gratitude? You do not have a son, please allow me to offer my daughter in marriage to you, this is the only way I can repay you. Please accept.

Liao-Fan: So the clerk accepted, and soon afterwards, she bore him his son, Li Zhi. Li passed the higher level imperial exam when he was just twenty years old. Li's son Gao, and grandson, Lu, and great grandson Da-lwun all passed high examinations and received imperial appointments.

Liao-Fan: The ten examples above all tell of the different deeds cultivated by different people. Although their actions differ, their intent was the same: to do good. If we were to examine goodness closely, we would find that there are many different kinds.

No comments:

Self Discovery.....

Knowing yourself, knowing the peoples surrounding you ....